Friday, July 24, 2009

The Lost Art of Being Still

"Why are you so downcast, O my soul?
Why so disturbed within me?
Put your hope in God,
for I will yet praise him,
my Savior and my God."
Psalm 42:11


I am exhausted. My night at work has been a battle and I have felt overcome with discouragement. God has been teaching me so much during these past couple of years I have worked 3rd shift but there are nights, like tonight that I feel stretched to my limit. The emotions that come with being deprived of sleep, and hours spent alone can be unbearable. Sadly enough earlier tonight I was thinking about how well I've learned to be still working nights. There have been many a night when I would joyfully sit in silence before the Lord. It's funny how we think we have mastered something but are quickly humbled with the realization that we are not as put together as we once thought. Oh well. I know when I do move on from this job I will miss the hours I had to reflect and grow. The hours after finishing my tasks that I had to sit and read, journal, pray etc. I know I will miss this...but that is not at all what I feel like right now.

"Be still, and know that I am God."- Psalm 46:10

No comments: