Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Underground Church

During my shift last night I was able to finish reading the book Tortured for Christ by Richard Wurmbrand (recounting a story undying faith in the midst of intense persecution). Mr. Wurmbrand founded an organization called Voice of the Martyrs in 1967 to raise awareness and support for the persecuted church. This book is filled with the true beauty of the body of Christ, which even now is suffering from hardships that those of us in the free world could never imagine. As I read the final pages of the book my heart broke for my brothers and sisters in Christ...my family who are in chains even at this very moment. The conviction I felt was overwhelming as I thought about my own life in contrast to those believers who unashamedly with great fervency share the amazing hope of the Gospel.

At the end of the book Mr. Wurmbrand implored the church not to forget those who are suffering for their faith. He reminds his readers that all Christians are part of the Body of Christ and that if one part of the body is in pain it affects the entire body. It was a heavy book with an even heavier message, one that we in America hardly ever think about.

I am left speechless and humbled.

Here are some links for those of you who would like to get more involved with the plight of the persecuted church:

http://www.persecution.com/public/homepage.aspx?clickfrom=bWFpbl9tZW51
(the homepage of Voice of the Martyrs. You can request a copy of their free monthly newsletter, which I would highly recommend!)

http://www.prisoneralert.com/
(A website of Christians who have been imprisoned. It also contains information on how to write them notes of encouragement and other avenues such as imploring the government of their country to release them)

http://www.vombooks.com/
(a resource site on books pertaining to the persecuted church)

http://www.persecutionblog.com/
(weblog about the persecution of Christians around the world)

"If one part [of the Body] suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it."
- I Corinthians 12:26

No comments: