Friday, January 23, 2009

My heart is stirred

My thoughts have been consumed with myself lately but tonight the Lord has revived a part of my heart that is often stifled by the business of work and hectic schedule of life. Tonight my heart is once again burdened for the unreached. Although my husband and I do not feel called to full-time missions my heart remains heavy. Here are some of my favorite quotes that spur me to pray for those risking their lives to share with others the amazing salvation and hope that is found in Jesus Christ.

-------------
"I have but one candle of life to burn, and I would rather burn it out in a land filled with darkness than in a land flooded with light" -- John Keith Falconer

"The Great Commission is not an option to be considered; it is a command to be obeyed" -- Hudson Taylor

"He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" -- Jim Elliot

"The Bible is not the basis of missions; missions is the basis of the Bible" -- Ralph Winter

"Some wish to live within the sound of a chapel bell; I wish to run a rescue mission within a yard of hell." -- C.T. Studd

"If God calls you to be a missionary, don't stoop to be a king" -- Jordan Grooms

"If you found a cure for cancer, wouldn't it be inconceivable to hide it from the rest of mankind? How much more inconceivable to keep silent the cure from the eternal wages of death." -- Dave Davidson

"Let my heart be broken with the things that break God's heart" -- Bob Pierce

"The command has been to 'go,' but we have stayed -- in body, gifts, prayer and influence. He has asked us to be witnesses unto the uttermost parts of the earth ... but 99% of Christians have kept puttering around in the homeland." -- Robert Savage

"Believers who have the gospel keep mumbling it over and over to themselves. Meanwhile, millions who have never heard it once fall into the flames of eternal hell without ever hearing the salvation story." -- K.P. Yohannan

"'Not called!' did you say?'Not heard the call,' I think you should say.Put your ear down to the Bible, and hear Him bid you go and pull sinners out of the fire of sin. Put your ear down to the burdened, agonized heart of humanity, and listen to its pitiful wail for help. Go stand by the gates of hell, and hear the damned entreat you to go to their father's house and bid their brothers and sisters and servants and masters not to come there. Then look Christ in the face -- whose mercy you have professed to obey -- and tell Him whether you will join heart and soul and body and circumstances in the march to publish His mercy to the world. -- William Booth

"Expect great things from God. Attempt great thing for God." - William Carey

"Missions is not the ultimate goal of the church. Worship is. Missions exists because worship doesn't." - John Piper

“I cared not where or how I lived, or what hardships I went through, so that I could but gain souls to Christ.” - David Brainerd

No comments: