Friday, March 13, 2009

Desiring to Draw the Gaze of God

I've been thinking about this quote from C.J. Mahaney: "Humility draws the gaze of our Sovereign God." On the other end: Pride seeks to draw the gaze of others...

"This is the one to whom I will look:
he who is humble and contrite in spirit
and trembles at my word."
Isaiah 66:2

There have been many times over this past week when I have found myself fighting hard against the stronghold of pride. God has been gracious to begin the process of rooting out grumbling and complaining in my life. He has been quick to reveal the wayward attitudes of my heart but this week (specifically over the past couple of days) pride reared its ugly head in a new way, self pity. Woe is me!! Oh good grief.

Now that I am out of that mindset (at least for the time being) I can easily see how utterly ridiculous this type of thinking is. It's frustrating to me that I have to learn lessons such as these over and over again. I know full well that my life is easy but self-pity, much like complaining, is a deep pit that can suck you in. Once you start thinking that way it is difficult to stop. Self-pity is all about, well...self. That sort of mindset quickly impedes any useful thing we may desire to do for God if for no other reason then because it is rooted in pride.

This short passage from The Life and Diary of David Brainerd spoke volumes to me these past few days. It addressed the sin in my heart and turned my thoughts more toward Christ and his glory because in the end it is all about God's glory.

"was much dejected, and greatly perplexed in mind; knew not how to see any body again, my soul was so sunk within me. Oh that these trials might make me more humble and holy. Oh that God would keep me from giving way to sinful dejection, which may hinder my usefulness."

On a random note anyone looking to get outside of themselves and allow their hearts to be burdened for the cause of Christ should look here. There is much to pray for and much that needs to be done. Lord don't let our pride get in the way.

John Comforted in Prison (Ed Knippers)


Memory Verse III:

"If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very natur of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death— even death on a cross! Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father."

Philippians 2:1-11

No comments: