Monday, September 22, 2008

Humbled

It has been a pretty good day. Church this morning was wonderful, because it was a baptism service. We heard the beautiful stories of people who had been lost yet by the grace of God have seen that Christ is the only way. I get tears in my eyes every time I hear testimonies of lives that have been transformed, changed and are now so full of hope in Jesus.

Tonight at work, I came across this quote which hit me hard...I was and am still convicted.

"If we are devoted to the cause of humanity, we shall soon be crushed and broken-hearted, for we shall often meet with more ingratitude from men than we would from a dog; but if our motive is love to God, no ingratitude can hinder us from serving our fellow men."
--Oswald Chambers

Lately I have been so burnt out at work. I'm sure part of it is working nights here for over two years but another part of me has just been so fed up with the ungrateful kids. So as you can see, this quote met me right where I am. If the Lord has placed me here working with drug and alcohol addicted, completely broken teenage girls than I am ultimately working for him. Every encouraging word I speak, every moment of service, and any compassion my heart expresses will come out because my life is rooted in love for my Savior and Lord. These times of service are loving acts of worship to God as I attempt to live out the Gospel through word and deed. May these young women see something that will draw them closer to God and may they realize their need for Him. They are broken and desperate and there is none other than the Lord Jesus Christ who can save them from their sins, give them dignity and self respect, and ultimately give their lives purpose and hope.

Father forgive me for letting my own selfish thoughts get in the way of serving those who are lost without you. May these children see you in my brokenness and may they come to the saving knowledge of your sacrifice on their behalf.

No comments: