Sunday, February 3, 2013

A Life Worthy

"Only let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ..."
- Philippians 1:27a (ESV)

"Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ." (NIV)

"Meanwhile, live in such a way that you are a credit to the Message of Christ." (The Message)

As Jon and I wrap up memorizing the first chapter of Philippians I have been chewing on this particular verse. I have different feelings when I think about this call to all Christians. One response I get from reading this small passage is encouragement. For some reason I hear the voice of a coach giving his team a pep talk, or even that of a dear friend spurring you on. The other response I get is one of conviction and a deep desire to ask God to seek out what areas of my life that do not bring him ultimate glory and in turn point others to the life giving power of the gospel. The third response is a grateful clinging to my Savior because I know that this kind of a life is not possible without his help.

So dear brothers and sisters today I want to challenge you with this passage as well. Do you hear the voice of your Savior spurring you on to boldly run the race? Do you see the faces of the saints who have given all for the sake of the gospel? Their lives shout out glory to God because He is the only one worthy of everything we have. Yes, believers let us live such a life, a life worthy of the sacrifice that was offered on our behalf.

With that encouragement ringing in our ears let us seek out the Father asking him to show us areas of our lives that are not in line with the Gospel. Through His Word and the prompting of the Holy Spirit let's root out indwelling sin and repent. Then may we turn our hearts to praise and worship because we have been given grace and through Jesus Christ we have the ability to live lives that are transformed. This transformation in no way brings us recognition but points to the only One who is worthy of any praise, worship and adoration.

Run the race dear friends! This is what life is all about.

No comments: