Friday, January 15, 2010

A Study of Acts

Recently Jon and I decided that we wanted to find a Bible study to work through together. During our days off this past week we took a trip to a local Christian bookstore and decided on a John MacArthur study on the book of Acts, which I could not be more excited about.

I cracked open the Bible study tonight hoping to work through a couple of pages when I was struck by the following quote found in the introduction to the first chapter.

Holy Spirit: The Holy Spirit is a divine agent who creates, sustains, and preserves spiritual life in those who place their trust in Jesus Christ. The Holy Spirit is not merely an influence or an impersonal power emanating from God. He is a person, the third member of the Trinity, equal in every way to God the Father and God the Son. Among the many characteristics of personhood that the Holy Spirit manifests are: He functions with mind, emotion, and will; He loves the saints; He communicates with them, teaches, guides, comforts, and chastises them; He can be grieved, quenched, lied to, resisted, and blasphemed. Since Pentecost the Holy Spirit has indwelt all believers, illuminating their understanding and application of God's word. He fills them, seals them, communes with them, fellowships with them, intercedes for them, comforts them, admonishes them, sanctifies them, and enables them to resist sin and serve God."

Wow, and this was just in the introduction!! After reading that small summary on one very large aspect of the amazing God we serve I decided to call it a night on the Bible study and instead just let this simmer in my mind for a while. There will be more to come later but I felt compelled to share this little portion of my study in hopes that this would cause you to take a second to stand in awe of our God.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Remember when you and Jon started your first Bible study together as a dating couple? I do - I think you might be even more excited this time!